Aao mehendi lagaye, Sab mil jhul kar khushiyon ke Geet gaye
That’s our mehendi ceremony summed up and we can’t agree for more. The age old tradition of applying henna to the hands and feet of the bride has never been outdated.It is loved so much, that it is almost impossible to find an Indian girl who doesn’t like mehendi. Its not just the bride on the wedding, irrespective of occasion, mehendi is applied by all the women round the year.
Listed as one of the solah shingar( 16 essentials ) from the history.It is must for every bride to have the ruby red hands on her Big day.
Be it the traditional design of moon and stars in the south or the floral Arabic designs of the middle east or the extensive Rajasthani designs, one thing is a must , that the color should be deep red.And the reason? It is believed that if the color turns dark, the bride is to get a very good husband.
For the moment you call all the heavens while rubbing of your dried mehendi, here are some tested tips and tricks for the rusty red color you fancy.
- Clean your hands and rub a drop or two of eucalyptus oil before the application of mehendi.
- Mix your mehendi powder with cloves and pepper infused water. This helps the dye to release darker giving you the perfect tint.
- After the application of mehendi, dab your designs with cotton soaked in sugar mixed lemon juice to prevent it from drying and falling off.
- Once your are about to remove your mehendi, instead of washing with water, rub your hand with a tat bit of menthol balms, which is said to darken the colour quickly.
- After you rub off the dried mehendi ,try to avoid frequent contact with soaps or harsh detergents.This will help you maintain the even color of day 1 for at least 5 days.